University Commons Student Housing at GSU
Architect: Niles Bolton Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Hardin Construction Company, LLC
Budget restraints, approaching deadlines and a tight downtown site all contributed to the need for a smarter solution for this project consisting of four buildings ranging from eight to 14 stories.
Metromont introduced the design team to its thermal efficient precast concrete wall system, which enhanced the speed of erection and dramatically minimized the staging requirements. The panels were delivered for installation at night, eliminating site congestion and material and equipment-storage needs required for field-construction methods. After one year of observation, verification and measurement of the design case vs. the actual energy cost showed a savings of approximately $411,000 with contributions from the thermal-efficient wall panels. The project was completed on schedule and under budget.
“The erection benefits of precast not only allowed the team to meet the deadline, but it reduced the anticipated and indirect costs of field labor that would have been more sensitive to price fluctuations. We are open to using them on other applications, even beyond housing,”
- Dale McClain, Senior Project Manager, Niles Bolton Associates
- Thermal efficient architectural precast concrete mass wall system for the building envelope
- Mass wall includes continuous insulation and integral architectural finishes
- Four buildings: 8-14 stories, 2,000 beds
- 370,000 square feet of thermal efficient walls
- 2,500 precast panels erected in 10 months at night with tower cranes
- Cast-in brick
- Two colors of limestone like finishes
- Cornice at parapet
- Special architectural concrete mix
- Steel trowel finish on interior walls making them a durable paint-ready surface
- Use of local and regional materials
- Thermal efficient mass wall system with continuous insulation exceeded ASHRAE Energy Standard
- Large wall panels minimized air infiltration
- Determined “very energy efficient” by infrared imaging consultant with an effective R-14 value
- 33% energy savings ($411,000) in year one!