The SCAD Museum of Art project is a 65,000-square-foot expansion of the original Greek Revival museum which once served as the headquarters for the Central of Georgia Railway.
The addition incorporates the ruins of the adjacent rail depot, built in circa 1853. The fragile state of the ruins posed a significant challenge as construction had to be done within the perimeter of the remaining brick walls. Add to that, the necessity for the new structure to provide permanent stabilization to the age-old brick façade while also establish a seamless transition from new construction to old.
Utilizing an insulated, precast wall system for the structure allowed for minimal site disturbance and required little to no lay-down area. An insulated concrete form system was employed where walls were constructed behind the historic masonry; stainless steel helical ties were driven through the Savannah Gray Brick and into the forms. Concrete was then poured to secure the ties and support the historic structure. A thermal efficient insulated precast concrete wall with a coquina stone finish takes the place of the missing masonry to finish out the exterior architecture.